Saturday, July 28, 2007

This Sea Girl

I close my eyes for a second, closing my ears to the continuous flow of Saturday's night traffic outside, closing my nostrils to the myriad of urban stenches that float in through my room's window...

The voice of seagulls once again fill my universe.. The majestic roar of the sea waves crashes suddenly into my soul again, and I greet its familiarity eagerly as a long lost friend. The gentle sea breeze gently grazes my cheek and the air around me is once again rich with the smell of the salty sea.....

I am once again transported back to my safe heaven of youth. I feel free once more. I am back walking along the beach in the evening saying my goodbye for the day to the setting sun. Evening walks on the beach had always been a ritual for me during those days. I was always accompanied by my father or by my best friend.
"Look at that magnificent ship," my dad will point out.

Somedays my best friend and I will walk down to the harbour to watch the many boats that come to dock. My dad will warn me to keep a certain distance from the bustling harbour and not to go too near this busy place.

Other days I will walk along the rickety planks of the old jetty to catch a glimpse of the sea creatures in the shallow waters there.

I open my eyes again. I am once again back in reality, the life of my youth long past but never forgotten. The suffocating and messy world of the present is all that fills my surroundings right now and I feel trapped once again, my senses being numbed by apathy...

4 comments:

Billy said...

Kyrie, what a beautiful post. The memories are so vivid in your words. Hope you are having a great weekend.

SpringMist said...

Thanks!
I guess as I get older( n older!),
I am getting more melancholy.
But I remember whn I was in my teens, I just could not wait to grow up n live my life!If only I knew back then.

Ahh the wisdom tht comes with age!
This "old girl" is learning her lesson!

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

Kyrie;
first and foremost thank you very much for stopping over and saying hi at my posting about dysfunction.

I've just spent the last 20minutes reading most of your posts and my Gawd you are a wonderful writer. You express such feelings good, bad indifferent..I Loved reading your posts. I feel like I do when I bring home a new book from the library-anxious to start reading away, but scared because it's one of "Those books" that will be finished before you know it. I love books, but I hate when I'm done reading them.

lastly, I'm very sorry about your dad's passing..You seem strong and I look forward to reading more.

See you over at 4ths, Wheel, Ladeda, Groove, austere..etc. :)

Always,
Crusty~

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

btw-that feeling of being trapped-awful!!
Always,
crusty~