Sunday, November 11, 2007

I Want to Learn Latin


I love picking up words from different languages, but the one language I really really wish I could learn is Latin. Pick up a dictionary, and check out at the bottom of any word, and almost usually the origin of the word will be some curious immemorial seeming Latin word, prefix, root, etc.
And not to forget all those weird scientific terms that came from this very same language, the ones you took hours to memorize while chewing your poor ole sorry looking pencil that not even your doggie will give a second glance (my puppy got kidnapped in my old neighborhood!)

Anyway I wish I can possess this Language of wisdom, well that is how it appears to me, the ever mysterious Latin.
I am not satisfied when told that is you all have to know when I am reading some really obscure stuff, I want to know why it came to that point, and Latin seems to say, "I hold the key, I hold that cup". Alas, now days, with all the stuff I have to deal with, I don't have the time learn this mysterious sagacious language.

A very few colleges these days, there is one in DC for example, are starting lessons from these very basic point, with books published in Latin, back to basics with the Great Books, they are saying. I say COOL!!

Anyway for us poor hapless souls who don't have the opportunity to enter the coterie of Latin eloquence, we will have to make do with maybe trying to scintillate our English Language wisdom. LOL!
Well, have you checked out the free Wordsmart challenge in this website:
http://www.wordsmart.com
Really fun!! A friend told me to check out the quiz! But oh dear, when I saw the prices they charge for increasing your vocab, I said my Webster dictionary is more than enough for me!! But check out the quiz, and share how did you do if you like!

I received the above Tarot for today, I say they made a mistake! The hermit or Fool's card is more akin to me and my life!

8 comments:

Andrew said...

You are a Queen in my eyes! I would love to learn Latin. It is such an ancient and mystical language full of history. It is hard to believe Rome conquered the world speaking such a language and it is dead today -- rarely spoken except in classrooms. I will check out the quiz and let you know how I do. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend, Kyrie. I am thinking of you!

SpringMist said...

Andrew,
:) Sweet of u to say tht.
So did u like the quiz?
Made me think wht u said about the Romans, I started thinking wht will happen to English in a couple of eons frm now, will a new language takes its throne? Will a new language one we primitive beings never heard before evolve in the coming centuries to make everyone forever forget English?
If I only had a Time Machine :)

mosiacmind said...

Hello just wanted to say hello. I hope that your week is going good.

mosiacmind said...

Hello just wanted to say hello. I hope that your week is going good.

Pri said...

heyy juss dropped by to say 'hi'...yeps latin is a cool language...maybe il'l learn it sometime in life too...
if u get about learning it, thn maybe i could learn it from u ;P

take care dear!
have a nice weekend...

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

You should go for it! I could never manage Latin..but I'd love to learn Greek!!! !:)
Have any strawberry sundae's lately?
Always,
Crusty~~ :)

SpringMist said...

Crusty,
Thinking of you!! The surgery is probably over, and I am hoping you are getting plenty of rest right now. And I hope they finally allowed you to get a glass of water.
Maybe even a sundae afterwards :).
Get well soon!!!

SpringMist said...

pri,
If I ever learn Latin,than I could teach u :) Are u goin to start working this month? Weekend has not started yet by the way!!

mosaicmind,
Thanks for dropping by. A good week, how I wish I can have one of those!!