Saturday, September 1, 2007

Thomas Edison Gave Me A Knock On The Head

" Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they
gave up. "
--- Thomas Edison

I came across this quote today, and it made me ponder. There have been several times in my life that saw me exactly at the point of giving up on my dreams to study medicine and entering med school, especially since last year. Giving up may seem the most practical decision I could take to those around me.
My relatives have been pushing me towards that point ages before I even completed high school.

But men (and women! ) like Thomas Edison probably said "bullshit" to practicality as they strived ahead to achieve success in their days! So, I am going to hang on to this quote.

It may seem weird for me to think that the success I seek (to study medicine) is close since I am yet again on a gap year from college, I am broke, and I do not have the safety net of a supportive family who can support my education ideals. To sum it up, that dream of mine seems to be a very, very long way from my grasps.

However, giving up means I will live a life of bitterness and regret. I will always be wondering, "What if?" or "What could have been?"
So, taking Thomas Edison's quote to my heart today, I am going to plunge into my books, and keep chasing those medical school dreams of mine.

Have a lovely day!

6 comments:

Pri said...

well me being a doctor can tell u its not easy but if u have the will and the determination , ull surely make it...
hang in there and be strong!

all the best! :)

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

You will have the determination that requires you to seek out your dreams-medicine, whatever it is that you want, I know just by reading your postings that you have a very strong fire light deep within you and you will succeed, with sweat and tears you will succeed.
I love the quote from T.E...this was a great post to read. Thanks for sharing with us, Kyrie!

Always,
Crusty~

Anonymous said...

Kyrie,

I believe that using small goals as stepping stones are the most successful ways to achieve the bigger ones. You can do this, it'll just take more time then you'd like.

It took me nine years to get a B.AS. degree. I didn't have any help and couldn't get any scholarships (in fact, some enourmous clearinghouse for scholarships returned my check for $30 because they couldn't find their "guranteed minimum of ten possible matches", how sad is that?) My mom didn't even think I was smart enough for Community College.

Hang in there and remember that those naysayers are as human as you are and chalk full of their own shortcomings and self-doubts. Don't let them project it onto you.

Take Care,
-P

Cheryl said...

Fantastic attitude. If you can think it, you can do it. We will be here to support you.

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

there will always be, the "what if's.." the trick is to minimize the amount.
Always,
Crusty~
spoken like a true mom-what if I'd put a sweater on him then perhaps he'd have not caught a cold.

What if I'd spent more time teaching him language, than perhaps he'd not have a learning disability...

You'll be able to stick to this..keep it up. It's good to have a goal that at times seems unattainable. (sp?)

SpringMist said...

pri,
Thanks for stopping by. I am trying to motivate myself to be more strong willed!

crusty,
Thank you for your supportive comments. Reading your comments always make my day, especially when I am feeling down! Thank you for your words!
Thank you for believing in me that I can succeed. That means a lot since a lot of people around me keep treating me like I am a loser.

proxima blue,
Hey there! Thank u for sharing, and your comment is indeed inspiring. I know there is a very long journey ahead me, and reading ur comment inspired me tht there are others who walked the many long paths and emerged with their dreams intact despite the many obstacles.

cheryl,
Thank you for ur support! Had ur coffee yet?
I always look forward to reading your supportive comments!

crusty,
thank you again for the support.
Sometimes I can be too good of a doubter, and I will keep doubting if I can achieve my dreams at all one day. So, I guess I must continually remind myself not to give up.
Washed your coffee mug yet? :)