Bringing Up The Lackadaisical Side Of Me
It takes just one phone call. It should not be that way. I thought I was getting stronger. But cleverly veiled words greeted me, taunting me, gently trying to push me back to the edge, bringing me back once again to the ever familiar entangled emotions of insipidity and lachrymosity.
I just can't stop trembling today.
I had started Saturday morning, after an hour of my independent study, on a book hunting mission. Since the book I was looking for from last week had not been available in Borders and the other local book stores, the girl from Borders had jotted down several book store numbers located in the the Big City for me to try my luck finding that elusive book. A simple enough Saturday morning on my cell phone I had thought. And in the middle of making those phone calls, the phone rang. It was Uncle Bas on the other line.
Despite myself, I let the phone conversation get to me in the end. Uncle Bas just has his way. He started of in a disarming and cheerful voice, and as I was just my letting my guard down,
the thinly veiled taunting began. Seemingly harmless words perhaps superficially, but in truth disguised lacerating meanings intended just for me. He knew just which words will get to me.
A lackadaisical day started, continuing till now.
I took out my books, but the words did not seem to register past my visual field. The just finished conversation with Uncle Bas kept haunting me, past memories kept playing out in my mind the whole day.
In the end, I gave up trying to make sense of the pages in front of me, pushing my books away.
He even found me taking those exams very amusing. He pretty much made up his mind that I am not going to finish college, let on enter medical school, and he made sure I knew that.
I started feeling useless, good for nothing.
"What is the use of those exams and certificates you have? Stop dreaming, get a job permanently, and put an end to all your silly notions," was one of his sentences that kept cropping up and finally caused me to disgustingly close my newly purchased books from Borders (intended for the first exams I am planning to take next month in my gap year from college), books which only days before I had lovingly kept flipping through the new pages.
I tried to clear my head by reading through my favorite blogs.
But other of his much more insidious remarks kept continually popping into my thoughts. Just to rub salt into the lacerations, he even had to inform me of Uncle's Nick's rattling comments as well.
"Why did I ever trust these people?" I wondered.
Why are people the way they are?
I could not sleep the whole night, as I could not shut off his words and the even more taunting past memories involving my relatives kept resurfacing. How did I ever emerge from my teens with my sanity intact, with these people as my "guardians" after my dad died, is a conundrum that can never be answered. Their screaming and shouting that accompanied me throughout my youth still echoes in my head.
Just a few days before, I had thought I am finally starting to escape their suffocating influences. I had jumped to conclusions too soon, and I am disgusted with myself right now for always allowing them to get the upper hand, for allowing them to affect me like this.
I need to get this poison out of my system today, before I can get back to normal, before I can get back on track. My receding migraine has resurfaced from a sleepless day.

7 comments:
I'm so mad at your uncle for treating you like you're deserving of being taunted and belittled. Do you really ever have to talk to him? Are you dependent on your uncles financially? If you're not, can't you just tell them to stay away forever? I don't understand why they want to continue a relationship with you when they clearly don't approve. Kyrie, please stay away from them. They only bring you down and you deserve much more.
Thanks for the link to the recipes. I looked them over, and they look good. I've bookmarked the site. I need to find a less expensive source for tofu.
Cheryl,
I am financially independent of my uncles. My dad had made sure of that before he died. Thank goodness.
My uncles did sell off my dad's car and his business whn he died, and they never gave me tht money.
I never taken a dime frm my uncles.
Glad u liked the recipes :)
u know wht...next time around dont answer his call...till u r strong enough for thm not to affect u...
this person dosent deserve any of ur time...he dosent deserve to be heard even if he is in trouble...
and juss remember , u r definitely gonna make it...n u dont need anyone tellin u tht u cant.
The taunts juss prove how petty minded and stupid he is...probably trying to get his insecurities out by tryin to make othr ppl miserable...
but thts not gonna work..and juss lets show him it wont!
tk care
how dare he!
Please change your cell # or something...they (those types of people, the "Bas's" are just jealous that you have ambition and they have nothing else but miserable, filthy negative ways about them. How dare he.
I hope you can find some way to rid yourself of that bs.
Maybe google the word, snake-that'll make you feel better-after all, that's what the Bas seems like, just a slithering, slathering, lazy snake.
Im sorry you had to hear that-but if you twist it, and drive yourself and prove to only you that you will succeed...the rest of those "types" can go piss up a lake somewhere.
Hang in there!
Always,
Crusty~
I am sending BIG HUGS your way. I wish I could talk to your uncles for you. I hate it when people interfere with dreams. Keep moving along with your studies. Time will show the truth. One day you will have your day in the sun, degree in hand, beautiful smile on your face. It will happen. Believe in yourself and the people who support you. You can do this. You are stronger than you know.
pri,
U are right about not answering the calls. But, sometimes the long indurated fear they instilled within me tht I must respect thm keeps creeping back, making me take tht call.
Thank u for saying I can make it.
crusty,
:). Thanks for cheering me up.
I did change my cell phone once 2 years back, but my relatives hunted me down to my place and made such a horrible scene.
abbagirl,
THANK you for the hugs :)
And thank you for the supportive words.
i'm so pissed at him right now. can i add to the voices saying that he's wrong? you can and will reach your dreams. my parents told me i'd never get back to school... called me drop out and all that. but less than a year later i'm back, paying for it without their help, making the grades, starting in the medical field. people can't tell you what you can or can't do, only what they could or couldn't do. your unclue could never do what you are going as well as you are doing it. i for one am proud of you and can hardly wait for the blog that says "I did it!". :-) you are in my prayers hun.
Post a Comment