Friday, September 7, 2007

Being In A Limbo

I am taking a break right now. I have been hitting the books these few days, and I admit that studying again has put me in a bit of a cheerful disposition , even though I am not enrolled in any kind of educational establishments right now. I am an incorrigible geek who finds her contentment truly when she is studying something. My safe haven, a world of my own, when I get lost among the written words.
So, I guess, that is why it hits me pretty hard, to be separated from something I love, when I get stuck in a limbo, not being there among my peers, in the pristine ivory tower.

When things got hard growing up because of my apathetic relatives, I found the solace and respite I needed among my books, within the safe walls of my high school. A geek who cherished high school? I never minded the bullies, or even the mean kids. To me they looked like angels compared to the hell that awaited me outside in the form of my family.

I could be only truly safe when I was studying, or everyday until the last bell rang at school. And then the dreading began, the silent crying starts. Again, I will try to seek solace among my books, blocking my mind for a short while to the threats, cruel words, manipulative actions of my relatives. The voices will get louder, harder, the pages on my lap will become wet with tears that I will try not to show. The pages will dry, leaving not a trace.

My late father always encouraged me to learn, to study, as far as I could remember and I guess through the act studying, I feel each time that I always have something, a common point that I shared with my late father. During the early months after his passing, when I missed him terribly, I could only find peace just for a while, in my studies.

I wonder right now, of the disappointment that would be ached on his face, if he would to see me right now. Nothing for certain to be grasped in my educational future. Me standing in a limbo under the guise called gap year.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

If your dad could see you now, he'd see a daughter studying as best she could against all odds. He'd see someone who wants to live up to her dreams. He'd see a daughter tormented by cruel relatives. You just keep doing what you're doing so you will be ready for school after this gap year.

BTW, Emily's computer came with Microsoft Office 2007 that has all the good stuff!

Billy said...

Your dad's face would be beaming with pride. Never, ever think that your father would would have it any other way. We all have our own journey, every one's is different. You make your father proud every day, I am sure of it.

SpringMist said...

Cheryl,
Thanks for ur kind words.
Sometimes I get scared will I ever able to achieve my dreams, will I ever graduate frm the ivory tower?
I get confused seeing the perpetual uncertainties surrounding me.

abbagirl,
Thank you for saying that. That means a lot. :)
Especially today since I am feeling a bit down.

Beth said...

An RN I've been working with keeps reminding me of this, and I think it's true for you as well...

This is only FOR NOW. It's not going to stretch on into an endless blur. You will get through it and when you look back at it you'll be surprised by how small a part of your live it was to have shaped you so much.

I know gap year well, and you can survive it. It's an interesting year, but worth it. And I know you'll find a way to get back to school. :-)

SpringMist said...

Bethuel,
Thank you for sharing ur friend's words.
You are right,I needed to hear that.
I really hope I will find my way back to school.

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

keep at it!! You're making your watchful guardian angel-your father-very proud!!
Always,
Crusty~